GoFundMe. Go. Fund. Me. I don’t quite get it.
I know what it means all right; I just don’t get why the communication works.
Why isn’t it ComeFundMe? I mean, where am I going? Isn’t the invitation to join someone in doing something? To come and be part of something?
Wouldn’t PleaseFundMe be more semantically correct as well as more polite? Heck, why is the first word needed at all? Wouldn’t FundMe communicate the same thing?
Could the punctuation be implied? GO!FUND ME! or even GO:FUNDME!
No, I don’t quite get it. I do get that it works, though, and that makes me wonder why there aren’t spin-off sites. You know the sort of thing:
- GoHelpMe, where we can sign up to offer practical support for life’s challenges
- GoTrainMe, where we can upload how-to videos on any subject (with a sister site, Go’SplainMe, where we can demystify arcane as well as everyday phenomena)
- GoDreamMe, where we can share inspiring visions of regular folks attempting the impossible
- GoVexMe, where we can store annoying stories about organizations failing miserably at the mundane
- GoSparkMe, where we can encourage others to get started on long-standing goals
- GoRevMe, where we can contribute keep-at-‘er exhortations for any objective
- GoStirMe, where we can document our reflections on everything from small kindnesses to grand purposes
- GoSmileMe, where we can assemble funny cartoons, stories, and video clips
I don’t quite get it. GoBeatsMe.